Roots

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Acts of Love

The day is weary
But the night is young
The starry night plays on my left foot
The violet anklet is snug where it is
I steal a glance at his almond eyes
Red-edged almond eyes
I know he had looked at me a moment before
We are careful not to coincide
My chest is aghast with a wild song
My fingers numb with desire
I want to touch him
My phantom has done some things
Confessed some things
My mortal shell remains frozen
Bitten by chips of reality
Tiny chips that together make a frenzied resonance
That make me calculate actions divided by outcome which could be multiplied by the unknown probability of rejection
Rejection, I know tastes like sawdust
The result is nil
I am still, still
I watch the thoughts die
I watch the moment pass
I witness my suffering end
I witness my small death
I wake up, make my bed
I make him breakfast
By the door, as I leave, he thanks me
Why, I ask
Not asking truly, but as a natural flow of conversation which leads to silence and full stop as I enter the lift shaft
Did you take everything, he asks
I assure him and gravitate down
But I return in moments
My handkerchief is missing
Somehow the handkerchief was important
I ring the bell, he looks for it
We both stand then in an awkward moment of embarrassment
I leave again, without a goodbye
Later, in tea-break,
As I walk towards the loo
I find my handkerchief in my jeans pocket
Where I always keep it - handy
Earlier that day,
The train journey away from his home was quiet
Quiet and sunny
The sunrays entered my left eye from the window as I stared out
Entered and stay put
I was still
I hadn't even thanked him for the violet anklet.

- Chandni Girija
19-11-2017

No comments:

Post a Comment