Roots

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Eva

Could I live in a world
Where my language isn't known?
Swashbuckling with penguins
Diving with dolphins?
Hugging snake-filled trees?
Could I feed orphaned baby elephants
Tend to old cows
Have roosters chase me?
Could I float while hippos bathe
Blow bubbles as the crocodiles wait
Crouch in the bushes as the tigers pass?
Could I shake hands with chimpanzees
Play an instrument for the foxes
Could I sit with sparrows?

Could I stop waxing my legs
Forget toilet paper and sanitary napkins?

That, in my opinion, 
That, that, that in my opinion 
Would be my perfect heaven
I could forget my language
And I could learn theirs 

Languages of this world
Could never be dead
-

Chandni Girija

Day 10 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo #napowrimo2022

This poem is inspired by one of most favourite novels - 'Eva' by Peter Dickinson. The title of the poem is same as that of the book - an attempt to honour the work, a dedication, an expression of my utter love for the book! If you haven't read it yet, do give it a try. It was ahead of its times and it still is a bit; however, it is very relevant! 


No comments:

Post a Comment