Roots

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Laughing


The songs of Beirut are calling to me
Beirut, my darling, I miss you too
Your chirpiness, your noises
Your aura of liveness
Goodness, all of it, boxed in 
Boxed in a corner of my brain!
Your laughter, today, jolted me
From my melancholic stupor
Your laughter, today, jolted my
My melancholic stupor
Look at it, look at it!
Uncoiling onto the ground
Uncoiling and falling 
Falling to the ground
Like Cadbury chocolate
Like the chocolate in Cadbury
Cadbury chocolate 
Cadbury chocolate advertisement
How gracefully you fall
How gracefully, melancholy
Melancholy, you ghost!
Be gone from my my-land
Melancholy, you ghost!
Be gone, be banished!
I had forgotten happiness
I had almost forgotten 
I had forgotten the possibility
The possibility of happiness
Melancholy, you ghost!
Be cursed!
Thank goodness for laughter
Beirut's sun peeks out at me
I am reminded again
Again of my Beirutness!
Beirut, my darling
Come hither and hold
Hold my hand, hold my waist
It is such a long time
Such a, such a, such a long time
Since we walked
Walked together 
The streets of Beirut!
-
Chandni Girija
Day 03 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo #napowrimo2022

Image Source: Pixabay


No comments:

Post a Comment