Roots

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Hope

"Rush!"
"Rush," I tell myself
I hasten my bath
I speed up my chores
Feed the cats hurriedly
I put the water to boil
I finally sit down
With the steaming cuppa 
At my table

I look outta the window
I am several knots of feelings
Anxiety rules I think
The biggest knot makes of work
Work and endless pile of work

Depression hides I guess
Like a carbonated bubble
It's evasive of the surface
It's hearkened by the long, dark path
That has snaking all of us through
Since more than a year
That still has us in its hold
Oh, where is deliverance?!
This knot has an unusual smell
And yet I know what it is
It smells of common human misery
Like hair burnt somewhere
You know it's hair burning
For you have smelt it before
Brown hair, black hair, grey hair
Long hair, curly hair, matted hair
Whatever hair!
Smells the same as it burns

Money is another knot
A pulsing knot
Of incessant calculations
Skip, keep skipping
Keep doing the dance
Ahead a step or half
Or this knot could become a noose

I look at the light outside
Bathing the plants, the road, the vehicles
I am greedy for these
These last snatches of sunlight
I have a naive wish upon them
I believe if I sit with them
If I sit with my work
My burdened body
These rays will carry me through
I could latch on to their momentum
Like a cyclist onto the back of a truck
Be accelerated 
Be given that extra push that I crave
And helped through this patch of my path
This one patch
And then tomorrow I could muster
For the next one

I take a sip of my tea
My dry eyes turn on to the screen
My fingers roll up their sleeves
I type my first word. 

Chandni Girija
April 06, 2021

Day 06 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo #napowrimottt2021

No comments:

Post a Comment