Roots

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

The TV and Me

He storms out of the room
Huffing and panting
All civility and class
That had left his body
Wafting back to him

I straighten up
I realise the solidness of the sofa
I stare ahead
The TV screen returns my blankness
We sit in silence
The TV and me
For how long?
I now notice my reflection
A blackish shape on a black screen
How could black
Have so many contrasts?
My hand reaches to my face
My forefinger caresses my lip corner
Something rises in my chest
Slowly, slowly
Bile?
No, it's laughter
No sound escapes my mouth
My eyes are probably alive now

I pick up the remote
And press 'On'
Nimisha Sajayan throwing
Drain water 
On Suraj Venjaramoodu*
Now the sound comes
Now I cannot stop
The neighbours might hear me
My gaze falls on
The crimson on the 'On' button
The laughter gurgles to a stop
I get up
The wipe cloth must be retrieved. 
-
Chandni Girija
April 13, 2021

*Scene from the movie 'The Great Indian Kitchen'

Day 13 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo

No comments:

Post a Comment