Roots

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Little Rascals

Meera plops over the tangled charging wire
Kanha on my right near my arm
My OCD bulb turns on
The table isn't 'neat' anymore
I suppress my urge to plonk them down
I look at them instead,
I take a pause

Meera sniffs the air with her chin up,
Her way of saying 'howdy'
Kanha is busy bathing himself
It occurs to me
For these little rascals
The lockdown has been good

Summer, rains, a winter has passed
They have had me by their side
Kanha in fact started having separation anxiety 
On closing the door to my room
"Yes mister, what about the time
When I wouldn't be home the whole day?"
He's just like a devious child
Learning new tactics to get his way

Meera healed from a nasty dog bite
Growing closer to me
As I nursed her
Teaching me
Distances between two companions 
Are malleable 

The neighbour's grandson just turned two
He loves going closer to them
His shrieks scare Meera and Kanha
They know not to drop in on weekends
When he would be visiting his grandma

We continue to be a rest stop
For Tillu
As soon as as she comes
All she wants is food
And a bit of my attention
Before settling into a deep slumber
In one of her favourite spots

Meera jumps down from the table
Kanha follows a bug's trail
I notice the smile on my face
It occurs to me
My lockdown has been easier
Due to these little rascals

-
Chandni Girija
April 07, 2021

Day 07 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo #napowrimottt2021

Also, this is my hundredth blog post! Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment