Roots

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Orange-brown

Everything is such a blur
We had spoken
Probably
I must have congratulated him
I had loved his documentary
People were milling about

Everything is such a blur
Except for that moment
So clear
Seared in my memory
With the 'Tilt-Shift' filter
Of Instagram

My view of him was blocked
Partially
Another bobbing head

Did we turn to each other?
The same instant?
Or was I standing there
Looking at him 
And he turned to me?

There occurred an instant
We looked at each other
Him with one eye
The right
That could see me
And that I could see
His eye, oh
His eye had an orange tint
On the light brown

There's an imprint 
Of his smile
On the memory
From our earlier conversation
Probably
Or probably
From his knowledge
His knowing
Of my attraction 
Hmm... he knew
In the instant 
He looked at me
Probably
Half an instant earlier

We had stood that way
In the few seconds
Of this knowing
Or him knowing
And me transfixed

Today as I remember again
I feel the force again
Rooting me somehow
To the past moment
That merges into now
A cord, a pole
Affixing me
Through the center
Of my throat
I think I am smiling
A half-smile
A tilt on my right lip corner
I think I have been kissed
There
By this memory
A soft orange-brown kiss
-
Chandni Girija
April 15, 2021

Day 15 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo

No comments:

Post a Comment