Roots

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Maan-ga Maan-ga


1. 
Maan-ga Maan-ga is notorious 
The most sensuous of fruits
Succulent and sweet
Tell me
Tell me if you aren't ravenous
For some mango flesh, what
What are you?
A dried up morose
Moribundity?

2.
All that mango said was
"Excuse me"
And this uncouth gent went
And squeezed it
Have you lost your rubric 
Your sense of space
Respect for a fruit life? 

3.
Madam activist lady
What I did was 
My interpretation
Of the presentation
And some gestation 
In-between
Didn't you begin with
Sensuousness of fruit
And in paragraph two 
You changed like a 
Personality split into two
Take this fruit basket
Go sell twelve mangoes
For now don't throw 
Your popply fruit rights at me
-
Chandni Girija

Day 29 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo

I attempted Maureen's prompt to write a two-part poem that focuses on a food or type of meal giving it at least one line of spoken dialogue and at some point describe it as if it were a specific kind of person. This poem ended up having three parts. 

*Maanga is mango. It is pronounced this way in South India. There is no letter in the English alphabet for the actual pronunciation of this 'ga.' 

Image by PDPics from Pixabay 

No comments:

Post a Comment