Roots

Saturday, April 1, 2023

Cephalopod


This time I have ditched my 
Sanitary napkin, I have braved
An alien world to be an alien in
That world, thirsting in a water world
For a bond that hitherto have dried on
Dry land, murkying my comprehension 
Of myself, my others, all others and existence.
Tell me how do you count without fingers or how 
Do you not compare the twig and your arm to understand
Length?
When two legs descended from the curtain of legs
And walked the ocean floor, how could I not engender
her, and when she reached out to touch my finger, how
Could I not fall in love with her?
-
Chandni Girija
April 01, 2023

Day 1 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | Global/National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo 

What is comprehension? Is it always relational? How bad a sin is anthropomorphism? Why do we end up comprehending intensity in sexuality? 
Written in the daze of 'My Octopus Teacher' and reading up on its various interpretations. If you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend it. This poem can also be read in continuation of this one in which I explore language and identity and relation, and complemented with this one in which I play with the contrasts and relation between methodologies.  
Welcome to this year's journey with me! :) 

Photo by Pawel Kalisinski procured at pexels.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment