Roots

Sunday, April 30, 2023

White

I put my hand out
For some fresh air
Oh!
I have been kissed!
Tuft of soft silky white
Hair held by a seed
Oh!
Whoever thought
I did not but
I witness now
Seeds 
Seeds can fly!
Coming all this way
From miles and miles
Stopping here
To give me a kiss
Such an abundance 
Abundance of spirit
This home tree is
No, no, no, no
I am not letting
You get away
I believe now 
I deserve kisses
I will preserve now
Each and every kiss
Each and every kiss
I will plant this kiss
I will plant this seed
In my orchard
I will fashion now
A hair clip of the
Silken tuft
Such beauty, see?
Such, such, such 
Beauty, see?
It will go infinitely 
Well with my grey
And white
Grey and white
My grey and white
Peppery peppery hair
-
Chandni Girija 

On prompt, as a palinode to this poem
 
Day 30 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | Global Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo

7 comments:

  1. I love this ode to greying, silver and white hair, Chandni, and the journey of the silky white-haired seed all the way to your own hair - I am embracing the silver in my own hair. I enjoyed these lines especially:
    ‘I will fashion now
    A hair clip of the
    Silken tuft

    It will go infinitely
    Well with my grey
    And white
    Grey and white
    My grey and white
    Peppery peppery hair’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Kim. Our bodies are gifts in themselves. You have awesome hair.

      Delete
  2. Your grey and white and the seed feather made me smile. I love the drifty-floaty movement of this poem--not unlike watching a dandelion puffball. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a declaration of acceptance and self- love in this poem. I felt the hair float in pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hair float in pride" - love to this, Gloria! Thanks for coming here again and reading :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Chandni, thank you for your ending. It fits perfectly into my latest cento. Please find it here:

    https://manjameximexcessive6.wordpress.com/2023/05/07/four-april-centos-no-1/

    ReplyDelete