Roots

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Drinking Farts

My Chitta had told me
The curse of children won't cure
Even if one drank farts
The ten-year old me was
Befuddled by the logistics 
Of this impossibility 
Chitta had stood there
With her wheezing asthmatic chest
Both hands locked behind her head
Both eyes bulging at me with force
Of her chiding 
I had paused to look in her eyes
I had paused thinking
I had been slower 
In my play with toddler cousins 
My wheezing Chitta appears
Again before me today
The meaning is clear
Children are pure
Their abuse not salvaged
Even with ghastly self-austerity 
Grace saves me as well as others
Kindness and respect heal me too
Gentleness is beauty
And all of everything
Is the plain key
Of restraint
Of pause 
-
Chandni Girija 

Chitta (Malayalam) is the maternal aunt, mother's younger sister
The proverb in Malayalam is "ബാലശാപം വളി കുടിച്ചാലും മാറില്ല"

I responded to Maureen's prompt of writing a spooky poem about cautionary tales from childhood. This however took a different turn. 

Day 19 of 30 | 30 Poems in 30 Days | National Poetry Writing Month #napowrimo

No comments:

Post a Comment